Westwoods Outfitters is located on the South West Coast of Newfoundland, Canada. We are approximately one hour and forty five minutes from the ferry terminal in Port aux Basques to our camp, located in the Long Range Mountains. You can drive right to our door in a pickup!
The terrain is ideal for the physical hunter, yet is still accessible for the hunter which may have special needs or requirements. We have been in business for fifteen years and have an excellent reputation for service and quality hunts.
Two Methods of Transportation:
Drive own vehicle
- You can drive to North Sydney and take the ferry to Port aux Basques. It is wise to make your ferry reservation early...call 1-800-341-7981. Upon leaving the ferry you will drive approxiamtely thirty five minutes to our meeting area. Here you will meet the outfitter and the guides, and then proceed on a one hour and thrity minute drive to camp.
- You can fly into Deer Lake Airport. Deer lake is approximately a two and one half hour drive.
Meeting time and place:
- We will ask that all hunters arrive at the meeting area by Sunday 10 a.m. if the ferry schedule permits.
- At daybreak Monday morning your hunt begins.
- The guide to hunter ratio is 1-2, however, as the week progresses and more animals are bagged, the ratio becomes 1-1.
- Moose permits are Male Only or Either Sex. Caribou permits are Male only.
- The weather in Newfoundland is varied. During September you can expect warm, rainy conditions, while during October you may even expect snow.
Accomodations "The Camp":
- The hunting lodge was built in 1993. It has a fully equipped kitchen with a full time cook on staff. It also has indoor plumbing with two bathrooms both bathrooms have showers. It is very comfortable with a large dining area and living area. It has five bedrooms and you have cell phone service available at camp.
Items you should bring:
- Rain clothes (preferable rubber raingear)
- Rubber boots (lightweight)
- Sleeping bag
- Warm Clothing (our weather can be beautiful one day and cold the next)
- A small back pack for lunchpacks
- Personal Items ( facecloth, towels for showing) bathrooms are equipped with paper towel dispenser
Westwoods Outfitters has been in business for 15 years and has an excellent reputation for service. Our success rate is 95% for moose and caribou. We have guides that have been hunting for 25-30 years. References are available upon request and if you need more information please call at (709) 955-2855.
"I hope you join us for what is some of the best moose and caribou hunting in Canada"